Expensive carports must be the best? The truth may be exact. People who bought an expensive carport are not necessarily stupid, but maybe they are missing out on a better option. There are many materials used to manufacture carports, and here are five main categories, from cheap to expensive. Which is the best material for you and how do you choose?
Here are five common carport materials. They are ranked from lowest to highest based on material grade as fabric carports, metal carports, glass and metal carports, brick-and-concrete carports, and wooden carports
Fabric carports are the ideal carport choice for many homes. Portable fabric carports often consist of a metal frame and a fabric covering. The covering material is usually a high quality polyethylene fabric.
Pros: 1. Compared to metal carports and wooden carports, fabric carports are easy to move and can be located anywhere in your yard. You can set up a portable carport in a short time.
2. Low maintenance cost. Portable fabric carports are very reliable and you don’t need to spend much on maintenance.
Cons: Durability. Fabric coverings obviously cannot match the strength of metal coverings. But because of the lower cost of fabric carports, most people can live with this expected drawback. Fabric carports can also last a long time if you maintain them regularly.
Metal Covered Carports
Metal covered carports can provide long-lasting protection for your vehicles and equipment such as tractors. Common types include aluminum carports and steel carports. Using a metal carport can improve the quality of life and protect your property.
Pros: 1. Strong and durable. Metal carports are stable and can withstand high winds, rain, snow and UV rays. In terms of home enhancement, metal carports can last for a long time.
2. Easy to maintain. Both steel and aluminum carports are easy to maintain. Although you may face metal oxidation problems in the process of use, as long as the steel and aluminum surface to add the perfect coating and regular maintenance, these carports can also be used for a long time.
Cons: 1. Heavier and difficult to install. This is a problem that most metal carports will face during installation. The heavier metal material can cause problems with installation, and you may need to work with two to three people to install a metal carport, which can take a lot of time.
2. Complex structure. Metal carports are heavier and more complex in structure than portable carports. You are likely to have trouble and spend more time in the installation process.
3. More expensive. Compared to fabric carports, metal carports are more expensive. Expensive materials are not ideal for some users.
Glass roof carport
Home glass top carports are often built on the side walls of houses. Glass top carports are considered to be a stylish home carport option.
Pros: 1. Aesthetically pleasing. Most families customize their glass carports to fit the conditions of their home and backyard. These carports are beautiful, stylish and ornamental.
2. Versatile. Glass roof carports are loved by many families for their beautiful appearance. These carports can be used not only for parking vehicles, but also as a place for entertainment, such as parties, BBQ, afternoon tea, etc.
Cons: 1. Expensive. Custom glass carport will bring a huge expense. You need to determine your budget in advance to avoid overspending.
2. High maintenance cost. Generally speaking, glass carports are not easily damaged. But if you need to maintain or replace parts, the repair cost is much higher than portable carports.
It is traditional garage style that can be seen in many homes’ backyards. This type of carport usually covers a large area and is built by the user.
Pros: 1. Sturdy construction. Built of brick and concrete, garages are structurally strong enough to withstand fall and winter winds, rain and snow, providing the perfect protection for vehicles.
2. Multi-purpose. Not only can you park your vehicles here, but you can also store your weed whacker, tractor and other miscellaneous items here. You can also barbecue and do other activities here.
Cons: 1. Long construction time. Compared with portable carports, metal carports and glass carports, the concrete brick combination garage takes longer to build. You need to spend at least a week to build a small size garage of this type.
2. No flexibility. If you choose a place to build a garage, it’s likely that the land won’t have any other use later. Because building and demolishing such a garage is very troublesome.
Wooden carports are considered to be the most traditional but also the best style of carports. These carports have a much better ornate appearance and are a great sustainable investment that can increase the value of a property.
Pros: 1. Aesthetic appearance. Wood carports are recognized as one of the most beautiful looking carport styles. Wooden carports never go out of style and are suitable for any kind of house style.
2. Sturdy Frame. Wood is one of the strongest building materials. You won’t have to worry about parking your vehicle in a wooden carport.
3. Value-added. A wooden carport as part of your backyard can increase the value of your property.
Cons: 1. Fire hazard. Fire is a devastating blow to any wooden carport.
2. Prone to decay. Wood is easily eaten by termites, causing it to break. Also, prolonged rainfall will deepen the decay.
3. High maintenance cost. Wooden carports require frequent maintenance, such as checking for rot, painting and others.
How do I choose the right carport?
One thing to note when choosing a carport is that the more high-quality materials the better, there are some factors related to your choice.
The stability of the carport is the key point when choosing one. If you live in an area with high altitude, high winds, rain, and snow in autumn and winter. You will need a structurally sound carport to protect your vehicle and other property. According to the ranking of materials mentioned above, wooden carports, brick carports, and metal carports are stable and not easily destroyed by high winds, rain, and snow.
If you live in a milder climate, severe weather conditions are less likely to occur. Portable carports that are easy to build and move can also be included in your options. You can reinforce the poles of the portable carport (for example, you can use items such as sandbags) to make the structure more stable. The reinforced portable carport can be used temporarily when it is windy and raining or snowing.
Movable or not
You want your carport to be portable. A portable carport material will not be wood or brick and concrete. Metal and fabric carports are a better match for your needs. However, some of the metal carports can be difficult to move, and now the popular portable fabric carports can be moved more easily.
You can move the portable fabric carport as a party place, or to protect your boat, etc. You can also disassemble the portable carport and put it in the trunk of your vehicle.
When you plan to buy or customize a carport, there are factors to consider such as the price of materials and labor costs. If you wish to save money, spending a few hundred dollars on a metal carport kit or a fabric carport kit can help you save a significant amount of money. You can spend an hour making a carport with a companion, which will not have any additional labor costs. If you choose to buy or customize a wooden carport or glass-roof carport, you may need professional help.
Carports as an alternative to garages give you more storage options and are considered to be the most worthwhile investment for your home. If you haven’t assembled a carport kit yet, try setting up and using a fabric carport. Lighter and easier to install than metal carports, fabric carports are perfect for DIY enthusiasts and novices alike. Also, fabric carports are usually not subject to local regulations, which can reduce the hassle.
Quictent offers quality fabric carports for you. Here you can find several sizes and colors to choose from.
We offer you the following buying advice:
20′ x 10′ Basic Car Canopy (2 Colors Available)